using python in www site

Bob Horvath bob at horvath.com
Sat May 8 23:38:04 EDT 1999

"Travis C. Porco" wrote:

> In article <373316D9.AB851DC5 at zarlut.utexas.edu>,
> Tom Bryan  <tbryan at zarlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> >> i know python, i know html and a little bit of javascript, but have no
> >> idea about CGI and about perl (and i am not interesting in learning it
> >> over the weekend).
>
> >If you need to do CGI, you'll have to write a program in whatever
> >language is on the machine.  Do they have Python?  CGI is simple.
>
> My web server machine right now "has" only C, C++, tcl, and $perl.
> There ought to be some easy way for me to load Python onto the machine,
> but I don't seem to have access to any safe place.  (Even I know better
> than to have a scripting language executable accessible from out in
> public.)

Can you load it yourself?  I have done this at work, because the powers that
be just don't get it. You don't need to load it anyplace special, so long as
oyur CGI script can get to it.

> Is there any ISP, either national (USA) or in the San Francisco Bay
> Area that is Python-friendly?  All due respect to the $perl afficionados,
> but I $@'int interested in switching.

My Chicago based ISP, EnterAct (http://www.enteract.com), has python loaded,
and is very friendly.  Not exactly what you asked, but true none the less.
I think they may have expanded into the Bay area for non-dialup access only.