Python 2.0

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri May 28 21:40:33 EDT 1999

James Logajan wrote:

> > I hate to say it but you can do some pretty neat stuff on Windows talking
> > between languages without a bunch of custom glue code. Why is Unix so far
> > behind in this regard?
>
> Unix is behind? In what way? Last I checked, Unix was an OS that has evolved
> to include useful things like threads, IPC mechanisms up the gazoo, dynamic
> linking, and other handy stuff. Now if you meant to say that Unix
> APPLICATIONS are behind, then you need to take your compliant to Unix app
> writers. CORBA is available on Unix and if app writers don't use it, well,
> what can I say?

You _could_ say that Unix apps are behind in this regard and you can push
application writers and OS vendors to fix it.

Of course I wasn't talking about the Unix *Kernel* but I also wasn't just
talking about Unix applications. What about "distributions" as they are
now called? Does AIX itself with CORBA? Is it source-level compatible with
CORBA on Solaris? Can I write a portable Unix app and depend on an ORB
being available? App writers don't use CORBA so vendors don't always
provide it. Vendors don't always provide it so app writers don't use it.
Result: Unix is behind.

When I can install a Linux distribution and use the same ORB to talk to
Gnome apps, KDE apps, Netscape and Apache then I will feel that at least
that variant of Unix will have caught up in this regard.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Alabama's constitution is 100 years old, 300 pages long and has more than
600 amendments. Highlights include "Amendment 393: Amendment of Amendment
No.  351", "Validation of Laws Regulating Court Costs in Randolph County",
"Miscegenation laws", "Bingo Games in Russell County", "Suppression
of dueling".  - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ALISHome.html