Python 2.0

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.Com
Fri May 28 22:25:05 EDT 1999

Paul Prescod wrote:
> Another thing to consider is whether we should really still be in the
> mindset of manually hacking together languages. Isn't that what
> COM/CORBA/OLE and a dozen other standards are supposed to do for us? I
> kind of feel that things like SWIG and Perl's XSUB are too useful in that
> they don't give us enough impetus to solve this problem once and for all
> properly.
>
> I hate to say it but you can do some pretty neat stuff on Windows talking
> between languages without a bunch of custom glue code. Why is Unix so far
> behind in this regard?

Unix is behind? In what way? Last I checked, Unix was an OS that has evolved
to include useful things like threads, IPC mechanisms up the gazoo, dynamic
linking, and other handy stuff. Now if you meant to say that Unix
APPLICATIONS are behind, then you need to take your compliant to Unix app
writers. CORBA is available on Unix and if app writers don't use it, well,
what can I say? The very old Unix way of gluing was to use pipes: "a process
should do one thing and do it well" and link processes together with them.
Quaint by today's standards I'll admit, but you have to admit the glue code
was not much more that printf() and fread() and friends.