Oracle and Unix

Alexander Staubo nospam-alex at mop.no
Wed May 19 09:27:16 EDT 1999

Off-topic, but I'd like to respond anyway...

In article <7hu9i2$t50$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, kidehen at openlinksw.com says...
[snip]
> How can something that is free of charge for 2 concurrent clients and
> 10 database session be insanely expensive ?

Er, because it isn't free when you need more than 10 concurrent database
sessions -- which is what's needed in an application server environment.
On your web pages, I notice that a license that permits 200 concurrent
sessions costs $6,000. This is expensive.

The "insane" part comes when you consider that this price exceeds the
price of the database server software. And when you consider that you
need one set of licenses for every client platform, every server platform
and every database system, it gets pretty extreme. It means I have to add
$6000+ to the cost of hardware and OS to every system I deploy; likely
something easily swallowed by large corporations, but not by us, where
$6000 is usually in excess of what we pay for just the hardware.

On NT, ODBC drivers are (in almost all cases) 100% free of charge, and
not limited in the number of concurrent database sessions you can
establish. That's pretty neat.

I'm not questioning the quality of your software. Only the pricing. A
limit of 10 concurrent database sessions arguably isn't very useful
except in small-business environments, and for casual testing.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a beautiful