proposal: new mailing list

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun May 30 18:18:56 EDT 1999

[Max M. Stalnaker]
> I have taught some programming classes.  It seems to me python is a good
> choice for an introductory CS class since it has minimal key words, a
> clean syntax, and lots of CS structures available.  It also has good
> object orientation..  No texts, though.
>
> It is also starting to attract a little attention from non-programmers
> who want to be programmers.  It seems to me, in an evangelical mode,
> that it is worthwhile addressing their needs, which are different than
> the typical programmer who is discovering Python.  The newsgroup may not
> be appropriate for these people?  Maybe python.org should start a
> mailing list just for them?  Python-eggs?
>
> Over time, this mailing list, if archived, would develop a good
> reference set for the clientele.   The clientele would be partially
> self-servicing.
>
> Mandate:
>
> Discussion of programming issues and techniques in Python for people for
> whom Python is a first programming language.

Taking a trip in David Ascher's time machine (for a change), take a peek at:

    This list is for folks who want to ask questions regarding how to
    learn computer programming with the Python language.

    Folks interested in learning about programming with Python are
    encouraged to join, as are folks interested in helping others learn.
    While the list is called tutor, anyone, whether novice or expert, can
    answer questions.

    If individuals wish to start off-line conversations about a particular
    concept and become one-on-one tutor/tutee, that's fine. If either
    party wants to summarize what they learned for others to benefit,
    that's fine too.

There's a killer problem in practice, though:  a new programmer doesn't know
what to ask!  They're too baffled.  Except for meta-discussions about
programming education, the Tutor list has looked like a quieter version of
c.l.py.  With rare exceptions, I think a new programmer needs lots of
one-on-one, face-to-face interaction with a teacher.  Helps a lot too if
they put the rest of their life on hold for a decade <0.9 wink>.

A Tutor list building on a shared introductory text would likely work oodles
better.  But, as you say, there is no such text for Python.

no-teacher-no-text-no-student-a-perfect-balance-ly y'rs  - tim