Pickling Recalcitrance

srenner at lycosmail.com srenner at lycosmail.com
Mon May 24 15:10:30 EDT 1999

>From the 'Python Pocket Reference':

"PICKLE INTERFACE  Converts (nearly) arbitrary Python objects to/from
serialized byte streams."

What is the (nearly) for? And why does this little caveat crop up
as follows:

  File "./Lib/pickle.py", line 406, in save_inst
    save(stuff)
  File "./Lib/pickle.py", line 197, in save
    f(self, object)
  File "./Lib/pickle.py", line 357, in save_dict
    save(value)
  File "./Lib/pickle.py", line 158, in save
    raise PicklingError, \
pickle.PicklingError: can't pickle 'instance method' objects

I should mention that almost all my objects do pickle, and I can look
closely at those which don't if I know what to look for.

'Virtual Reality -- it's like reality, only, like, more.'

sr