[tkinter] Event from menu event?

kiki kiki at pixar.com
Tue May 25 12:13:46 EDT 1999

So far, no luck...

This is proving to be very tricky!!

I got this suggestion:

----
def myfunc(label):
    print label

mymenu.add_command(label = "foo", command = lambda: myfunc("foo"))
----

Which works, but does NOT work if I'm doing something like this:

for each_class in draw_class_name:
    mymenu.add_command(label = each_class, command = lambda:
myfunc(each_class))

I get this error:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 726, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File "Haiku.py", line 167, in <lambda>
    lambda: mondo_menu_call(each_class))
NameError: each_class

hee-hee!!  Tricky!  [This also applies to trying to pass integer index
parameters, of course.  By the time it gets around to the menu call, the
context of the variable name is lost...]

Remember, since I'm loading modules dynamically, I can't know how many I have,
nor what their names are.  I have a *list* of *strings* [or eval(draw_name) or
whatever you like) and have to build my menu based on variables, not
constants...

Nick Belshaw wrote:>

> and identify which menu-selection was made inside that function
>
> def commonfunc():
>     called_index = mymenu.menu.index('active')
>     operation = function_list[called_index]

This is the error [unfortunately] I get with that:

Menu selected Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 726, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File "Haiku.py", line 134, in mondo_menu_call
    print "Menu selected",pattern_data.haiku_menu.index('active')
AttributeError: index

Arg!  Arg! <expletive deleted>

---Here is how I'm creating my menu [note, the names don't make any sense,
bare with me]:

class Haiku_Menu:

 def __init__(self, master):
  self.menubar = master

  # Add the Haiku menu to the menubar [items will be added later in
Haiku.main]
   self.haikumenu = Menu(self.menubar)
  mbutton = Menubutton (self.menubar, text="Haiku", menu=self.haikumenu)
  mbutton.pack(side=LEFT)
   self.haikumenu = Menu(mbutton)
  mbutton ['menu'] = self.haikumenu

 def add_haiku_item(self, item_name, cmnd):
  self.haikumenu.add_command(label = item_name, command = cmnd)

---main()
def main():
 root = Tk()

 pattern_data.hoop = Canvas(root, width = '4i', height = '4i')

 # Make a bar separated from the drawing area
 menubar = Frame (root, relief=RAISED, bd=2)
 menubar.pack (side=TOP, fill=X)
 # Add the relevent menu items
 pattern_data.haiku_menu = Haiku_Menu.Haiku_Menu(menubar)

 for stitch_name in stitch_class_list:

  # Add the menu item for this stitch class and bind
  #  to the created function
  pattern_data.haiku_menu.add_haiku_item(
   eval(stitch_name).__name__,
   mondo_menu_call)

 pattern_data.hoop.pack(side = RIGHT)
 root.mainloop()

---And here's my menu function:

def mondo_menu_call():         #\n"%eval(each_stitch_class).__name__,
 global pattern_data
 print "Menu selected",pattern_data.haiku_menu.index('active')

Thanx for your suggestions.  They all work, just not with an unknown list of
strings.

Anybody else?

Kiki