pickle vs .pyc

Michael L Vezie mlv at pobox.com
Thu Jun 3 00:14:32 EDT 1999

At 12:01 AM 6/3/99 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
>> This is the first I've heard of marshal.  I take it from various
>> hints here and there that the .pyc files are handled internally
>> by marshal, yes?
>
>Yes, "code objects" in particular are the one type marshal can handle that
>pickle can't.  I think we try to sell that as "a feature", though <wink>>

And code objects can't be handled by my repr/pyc method.  There is one place
where I would have need to store a code object.

Sounds like I'm going to be spending some quality time with marshal...

>> One final asside, I've seen disagreements both online and in the
>> web docs about the spelling of marshal.
>
>Guido's spelling is the only one we'll mention here, thank you.

And 'marshalling' being with two 'l's doesn't help.

>> marshaling-up-the-courage-to-convert-working-code-to-marshal'ly yrs
>>
>> ... (hoping-this-'ly yrs-tag-isn't-trademarked-or-only-available-
>> to-those-who've-achieved-some-level-of-pythondom'ly yrs)
>
>No particular qualifications, fees or exams are needed to use a "-ly y'rs"
>closing.  I do own exclusive worldwide rights to it, but grant everyone an
>unlimited license in perpetuity.  How can I afford to do this?  Easy:  there
>are only so many people out there who want to come across as an ass year
>after year <wink>.

Of course I need to learn how to spell "y'rs"...

Michael