pickle vs .pyc

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 3 00:01:38 EDT 1999

[Michael Vezie]
> This is the first I've heard of marshal.  I take it from various
> hints here and there that the .pyc files are handled internally
> by marshal, yes?

Yes, "code objects" in particular are the one type marshal can handle that
pickle can't.  I think we try to sell that as "a feature", though <wink>>

> One final asside, I've seen disagreements both online and in the
> web docs about the spelling of marshal.

Guido's spelling is the only one we'll mention here, thank you.

> marshaling-up-the-courage-to-convert-working-code-to-marshal'ly yrs
>
> ... (hoping-this-'ly yrs-tag-isn't-trademarked-or-only-available-
> to-those-who've-achieved-some-level-of-pythondom'ly yrs)

No particular qualifications, fees or exams are needed to use a "-ly y'rs"
closing.  I do own exclusive worldwide rights to it, but grant everyone an
unlimited license in perpetuity.  How can I afford to do this?  Easy:  there
are only so many people out there who want to come across as an ass year
after year <wink>.

it's-not-the-form-it's-the-content-ly y'rs  - tim