Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at pobox.com
Fri Jun 25 14:00:22 EDT 1999

Hi,

Python v1.5 adopted TkInter as its standard GUI framework, even to the
extent of including TkInter in the (Intel/Windows) installation
package.  Unfortunately, TkInter appears to run sluggish [1] on all
the Intel/Windows computers I've evaluated it on (which includes
several Pentium II 400+ computers).

However, the wxPython GUI, available from
http://alldunn.com/wxPython/, does not appear to suffer from similar
performance problems, at least under Windows.  As a matter of fact, it
appears to be very easy to make commercial grade GUIs using wxPython.

I'd like some discussion on whether or not it is a good idea to
abandon TkInter, before it gets too widely used, and instead adopt
wxPython as the primary GUI framework for Python.

Having said this, I have to say that I'm in no way a TkInter or a
wxPython expert.  I've evaluated both of them and found wxPython to be
the winner - and TkInter without a real chance of getting used by me.

Also, can anyone comment on the features available in TkInter and
wxPython - perhaps even make a feature comparison chart?

[1] By sluggish I mean: You can see, or at least sense, the window
update operations.  Windows are not drawn instantly, but in visually
detectable steps.

P.S. Let's not make a war out of this; I just want to know if there's
anybody else who feels wxPython is performing better than TkInter.

-- Mikael