Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Kevin Dahlhausen morse at harborcom.net
Fri Jun 25 14:05:13 EDT 1999

>I'd like some discussion on whether or not it is a good idea to
>abandon TkInter, before it gets too widely used, and instead adopt
>wxPython as the primary GUI framework for Python.
>
>Having said this, I have to say that I'm in no way a TkInter or a
>wxPython expert.  I've evaluated both of them and found wxPython to be
>the winner - and TkInter without a real chance of getting used by me.
>
>Also, can anyone comment on the features available in TkInter and
>wxPython - perhaps even make a feature comparison chart?
>
>[1] By sluggish I mean: You can see, or at least sense, the window
>update operations.  Windows are not drawn instantly, but in visually
>detectable steps.

I agree with your observations on TK.  I looked at wxPython and some other
GUIs.  I liked the Fast Light Toolkit API the best.  At least Python allows us
to use the best GUI, with 'best' being defined by people according to their own
preferences.

>P.S. Let's not make a war out of this; I just want to know if there's
>anybody else who feels wxPython is performing better than TkInter.

As long as we don't talk about politics,tabs, spaces, and indentation, we should
be fine.