"Programming Python" still worthwhile?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 12:41:39 EDT 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:
> Rick Robino writes:
> > me some advice as to whether or not "Programming Python" is useful,

Yes it is. If you are used to the O'Reilly style and are
happy with it PP is an excellent book. I'm currently jusat
over half way thru' and it has helped me a lot.

At work we have Python 1.3 (don't ask!) and at home I use
1.5.2. The vast majority of things work on both systems.

> > if the current edition is still current, if I should wait for the
> > "Learning Python", or if I should use some other resources.

I looked at LP but couldn't see a good reason to buy it at
the stage I'm now at - basic Tkinter and CGI programs
without recourse to the books.

> liked PP very much (and the difficult to find Internet Programming
> with Python, Watters et al, M&T books).

I had no problem getting the IPwithP book via Amazon :-)

I didn't find it too useful, and still wasn't clear how
much of the code applied to the standard distribution of
Python and how much was for the book only. It reminded me of
being at uni' where the lecturers insist on deriving
everything from first principles before telling you that
you can buy a book of tables... (Actually, come to think
of it I'm still not that clear on some of it!)
[ The socket examples are OK. ]

The general layout of the language reference part was
confusing to me. Sorry Guido, but I prefer PP....

YMMV of course.

> > I expect to come up to speed fairly quickly and I'm just looking for
> > those fundamental insights into OOP and Python that can build up the
> > kind of inuition and understanding one needs in order to "get
> > comfortable" connecting/creating the dots.

I'd say thats exactly where the PP book fits. Its not a hold
hands tutorial, neither is it a function by function reference
(you get that with the online documents!)

There are another 2 books on Python around and at least one
other on its way. Browse away.

Alan g.