"Programming Python" still worthwhile?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Jun 9 11:58:37 EDT 1999

  RR> wondering if anyone here could give me some advice as to whether
  RR> or not "Programming Python" is useful, if the current edition is
  RR> still current, if I should wait for the "Learning Python", or if
  RR> I should use some other resources.

  GMcM> Learning Python is on the shelves. Haven't read it. Nobody's
  GMcM> flamed it, and that's a _very_ good sign.

I bought a copy of Learning Python in a local technical bookstore that
doesn't have a very good selection, so it ought to be easy to find.

I haven't read the book carefully, but I did read through the chapter
on classes (Chap. 6).  I thought it was an excellent introduction to
OOP and Python.  It is much more thorough than the Python tutorial and
other free documentation.  So I don't think you'll go wrong with
Learning Python.

Jeremy