Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Jun 26 17:50:24 EDT 1999

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:15:39 -0400, Tom Loredo <loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu> wrote:
>Well, one reason not to rush to wxWindows is that there is
>no "real" Mac version.  I realize that a Mac version is "underway",
>but the wxWindows site has said that for a *long* time now.

 This is true, but someone (Stefan Csomor) has really worked on it hard during
the last few months only. We all hope that we will have a "real" wxMac version
soon now.

>A beta version was posted about a month ago, but I've not
>heard much about it, and most of the wx web site doesn't
>seem to know it exists (e.g., the FAQ still says the beta
>is forthcoming, and the dowload section appears to still
>have the old preview alpha release).

 Oops, it's just an oversight. I will ask Julian to update it a.s.a.p.

>  I develop on both Unix
>and Mac, and although the Unix part of me finds wx appealing,
>the Mac side of me feels like a 2nd class citizen in the wx world.

 The sad truth is that macs are not very common nowadays. I would like to help
develop wxMac, but I don't have one (nor at home nor anywhere near me in the
office), so I really can't. If there were more people working on wxMac it
would surely advance more quickly...

 Regards,
VZ