Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Wed Jun 30 18:17:58 EDT 1999

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Just to add fuel to the fire, we now have a Python interface to FOX, a
> cross-platform GUI toolkit:
>
>     http://www.cfdrc.com/pub/FOX/fox.html
>
> The latest version of the Python wrappers can be picked up at:
>
>     ftp://ftp.cfdrc.com/pub/FOX/FXPy-0.99.42.tar.gz
>
> I don't know how the speed of FXPy would compare with some of the others
> mentioned (Tk, wxWindows, Qt, GTK, ...) but it would be worthwhile for
> some independent opinions.

I installed it on Red Hat 6.0. I failed to recompile it without Mesa, but
even with it, it complains as follows:

[avoinov at dhcp101 tests]$ python window.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "window.py", line 1, in ?
    from FXPy import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/FXPy/__init__.py", line 1, in ?
    from fox import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/FXPy/fox.py", line 2, in ?
    import foxc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/FXPy/foxcmodule.so: undefined
symbol: glXQueryExtension

It happens both with Mesa-3.0 (Nov 98) and some Mesa-3.1beta, found in
RedHat contrib.

Alexander