Use of StringIO vs cStringIO in standard modules

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at srce.hr
Thu Jun 3 15:58:00 EDT 1999

"Michael P. Reilly" <arcege at shore.net> writes:

> There are some interface differences between calls to
> cStringIO.StringIO and StringIO.StringIO which I think makes
> StringIO more "usable" in some cases.

In the case of base64.py, it simply doesn't use those differences.  In
the case of creating a "UsercStringIO" wrapper, the additional
functionality could be cheaply implemented by the wrapper.  Or, the
additional stuff could simply be added to cStringIO.

> I would want to see cStringIO mimic StringIO before the two are
> merged.

Absolutely.  I would not propose breaking backward compatibility.