Pythonwin and Office 2000

Bill Tutt billtut at microsoft.com
Sun Jun 27 20:55:55 EDT 1999

> From: Mark Hammond [mailto:MHammond at skippinet.com.au]
>

> Paul Prescod wrote in message <377648A7.9B9BE59F at prescod.net>...
> >I believe that Pythonwin is not compatible with Office 2000.
> Here are some
> >symptoms:

Heh, now there's a vague statement...
My Python COM code is talking to Excel 2k quite happily, although I don't
generate the .py wrapper, those things are just too big, and take too long
to initially create on other peoples machines.

> I havent tried this, although I believe it!
>
> >  File "testMSOffice.py", line 46, in TestWord
> >    if
> gencache.EnsureModule("{00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}",
> >1033, 8,
> >0) is None:
>
> This is expected (unfortunately).  Word will have a new
> typelibrary, and
> hence a new IID for the library.  The "fix" will be to work
> out what the
> library ID of the new one is (by using "makepy -i") and
> changing TestWord.py
> to gracefully allow either version.

Actually, the GUID hasn't changed. Its just has a version of 8.1 instead of
8.0.

> However, this is a PITA in general, and a less-clunky
> solution would be
> great!

You're the one who required the version number. :)

> >com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
>
> That is a strange one :-(

Err. I think thats the "can't find ProgID" error message.
The progID is "Word.Application" unless something else wierd is going on. :)

Bill