[PSA MEMBERS] Using (physical) units and quantities

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Jul 8 12:05:20 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Cameron Laird wrote:

[bobbitt]
                     .
> 1.  There are *two* POSIX subsystems.  There's one
>     Microsoft did with its first releases of NT.
>     It somehow passes requirements, so that MS is
>     eligible for certain US government contracts
>     (or equivalents), but no one uses it.  NO one.
>     Seriously.  Now that I think of it, I'm not
>     even sure it is compliant; it could well be
>     just that MS *says* it is.  It's a non-issue,
>     because you have in effect to disable NT to get
>     at the POSIXness.
>
>     I'll decline this morning to give a URL for this
>     travesty.

Thanks, but no thanks;-)

[more bobbitting]

> 3.  Many people *pay* to read MS documents.  Smart
>     people, well familiar with Unix, whom I respect,
>     do so, and then enthusiastically describe the
>     experience to me.  While the phenomenon continues
>     to puzzle me, I can report multiple instances.
>     I'm not much opposed to any of this in principle,
>     but, when I've tried, the experience hasn't been
>     happy.  All the documents I've needed have been
>     frustrating.

Oh, yeah, we here at Callware pay to "read" them too.  And there *is*
information there--you just can't get there from here, is all.  With
just average mediocrity, you can spend *days* tracking down how to turn
that stupid question mark off--only to discover that you can't without
major voodoo.  You'd think that with nearly a gigabyte of documentation
they'd figure out a straightforward way of indexing it, wouldn't you?
If you don't *have* to dig around in the cesspool, don't, is my motto.
..

> 4.  Ivan, I haven't yet solved the mystery of why
>     e-mail from you doesn't reach me.  Let's try some
>     experiments.  Please send test messages to
>       <claird at neosoft.com>
>       <cameron at lairds.com>
>       <claird at www.guardtower.net>
>       <claird at place.net>
>       <test4 at oneplace.com>.
> --

OK, I've added all these addresses to this reply.

<shotgun-empiricism,-like-pork-fat,-rules>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70