Scientific Plotting?

Michael Haggerty mhagger at blizzard.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 21 19:14:00 EDT 1999

kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov (Robert Kern) writes:

> I've done the same thing, but I don't think I required PythonWin (as
> in, Mark Hammond's win32 extensions).

(I wonder how many other people have reinvented this wheel.)

The latest version of Gnuplot.py has been downloaded about 500 times,
but almost the only feedback I've gotten has been from a few people
asking for help to get it working under windows.  I don't use windows
so I couldn't much help them.  If somebody (anybody!) would be willing
to send me their patches and agree to put them under GPL I would be
happy to include them in the next release...

By the way, I just added support for binary-format data to a
yet-unreleased version of Gnuplot.py.  It only works for splot grid
data because AFAIK that's the only place gnuplot allows binary data.
But that is the most data-intensive type of plot and it substantially
helps the speed issue for that case.

I'm working on allowing data for all kinds of plots to be passed
through pipes, too (currently commands go through pipes but data go
through temporary files).  I fear it won't make a big speed difference
though because I suppose more time is spent converting data to ascii
and back than on the disk I/O.  If only there were a decent gnuplot
library that could be easily linked to.

Michael

--
Michael Haggerty