Scientific Plotting?

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jul 20 21:43:48 EDT 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:02:01 PDT, "Michael Huster"
<Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

>I am also trying to find an adequate *object* based plotting package. I am
>writing some signal processing software and want to code plotting into the
>classes I am defining.

[snip]

>Gnuplot: Runs gnuplot through a pipe. All of the data (upto many MB) also
>has to go through the pipe. Unsat. I want to plot efficiently.

The Gnuplot module as updated by Michael Haggerty
(http://monsoon.harvard.edu/~mhagger/download/) puts the data into
temporary files.  Pipes are used for commands only.  If you haven't
used it recently, you might want to try it again.

[snip]

>Piddle & graphite: looks good, but not mature enough. We are keeping an eye
>on it. Probably will try it.

True, they're not quite mature enough for a lot of work.  However,
since there don't seem to be many other contenders available for you,
banging on Graphite and PIDDLE to add the capabilities you need might
be faster.

>PyMat: I want to get away from needing Matlab licenses
>
>I am kind of bummed. If we wrap intelligent python wrappers around
>something, we will post it.

Hope your problems get solved!

>Michael Huster
>mhuster at hotmail.com

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |