bug with Irix configure

Patrick J. Moran pmoran at nas.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 12 19:26:05 EDT 1999

In article <378A6569.A5CEDC4E at bioreason.com>, Andrew Dalke <dalke at bioreason.com> writes:
|> Patrick J. Moran <pmoran at nas.nasa.gov> said:
|> > I've encounted a bug with the configure on Irix.  I'm not sure
|> > where to report it, so to the newsgroup it goes.

|> ... helpful suggestions ...
|>
|> So either the problem is limited to IRIX 6.4 or something else
|> is wrong.
|>
|> 						Andrew
|> 						dalke at bioreason.com

I've learned a little more.  As you probably know, the compilers
check a license server each time they are executed, and print out
about a page worth of warning if they cannot find their license.
One can set the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE to tell the
compiler where to find the server.  Other than the annoying warning,
the compiler goes ahead as usual.  Or at least so I thought.
I've now tried running configure with and without the environment
variable set.  With the compiler able to find its license server,
configure figures out that it has size_t and so on, and doesn't
try to define replacements.  When the compiler can't find its
license, I get the problems I described previously.  Yuck.

Thanks for the response, sorry to bother you.

Pat