Win32: silent script

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Jul 7 08:17:39 EDT 1999

Holger Jannsen <holger at phoenix-edv.netzservice.de> wrote:
> Problem is that Windows link files with extensions like .py and .py
> to python.exe (take a look at registry!). This causes in installation
> of python under Windows. Don't like to change registry!
>
> To start pythonw.exe in that links in windows-menu I've to specify
> the whole path to that file... Ouch, I really didn't want that!;-(

from Misc/NEWS:

    - The Windows configuration adds a new main program, "pythonw", and
    registers a new extension, ".pyw" that invokes this.  This is a
    standard Python interpreter that does not pop up a console window;
    handy for pure Tkinter applications.  All output to the original
    stdout and stderr is lost; reading from the original stdin yields
    EOF.  Also, both python.exe and pythonw.exe now have a pretty icon
    (a green snake in a box, courtesy Mark Hammond).

</F>