Python 1.5.2 + Linux 2.0.36 == Bad Combo?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup kas at maps.magnetic-ink.dk
Fri Jul 16 06:03:45 EDT 1999

  G'day mates,

I'm running Python 1.5.2 on a Linux 2.0.36 kernel (RedHat 5.1 distro partly
upgraded to v5.2) and have recently experienced malfunctioning and/or non-
working python applications -- specifically:

  *  PageCast
     -- This one causes a Kernel Oops, though not a serious one.
     The author, Preston Landers, have managed to invoke a similar
     Kernel Oops using the same python/kernel combination.

  *  PyGCS
     -- The program exits silently as soon as the second is loggin in.
     The author, Jeff Blaine, hasn't been able to reproduce the behaviour.
     I have asked Preston Landers to try out the program on his set-up
     but have yet to hear the results

  *  DejaGrabber
     -- The program connects without problem but seems to only retrieve
     headers, not the full articles.
     Haven't contacted the author yet.

I would like to hear if anybody else have experienced similar problems using
the same Python / Linux kernel combination and, if so, whether is has helped
shifting to another kernel version or downgrading python.

Cheers,

  //Klaus

--