[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Dec 30 14:48:21 EST 1999

In article <84g70v$tcq$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <poet at linuxports.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I know this is off topic but I represent LinuxPorts.Com and I have been
>approached by a printer to help them publish OpenSource books. What we
>were wondering is if there is a desire for the Python documentation in
>printed form? We would also include a CD with the Python binary
Yes.  Guido will probably be in touch with you
to say that he's asked this every N megaseconds.
>distributions on it and any extra Python software that we can.
I'm a bit touchy about those words.  While it
might surprise an outsider to Python, there
would be a GREAT difference in the quality of
the product that results from these two sample
processes:
1.  LinuxPorts.Com workers copy Python-
    looking stuff from whichever Linux
    distribution looks most recent; and
2.  A domain expert compiles a list of
    Pythonesque stuff that should be
    CD-ROMed, and reviews his selections
    with other Python heavyweights.

>We have also decided that if we print these books that we will be giving
>a portion of the Gross profits back to the OpenSource community
>and would like to know "who" that community is when it comes to
>Python...
The Python Consortium and Python Software Activity
are the two canonical choices.  I trust Guido will
tell you that, too.

>Please go to http://www.linuxports.com/ and cast your vote for the
>Python book if you are interested.
My answers to your questions do not constitute an
endorsement of your project.  My allegiance is to
Python; *Python: The complete reference* could be
a benefit, but I'm not yet convinced.
			.
			.
			.