[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Dec 30 18:49:45 EST 1999

Hi All--

Kendall Clark wrote:

[snip]

>  But, hey, a Python autodidact can hope!

You're the prof, so you can pick any book you want;-)

> Any signs that Python is getting used by CS profs/depts as a first language?

There was a charming presentation by a CS prof at the O'Reilly Open
Source Conference back in August at Monterey.  I think you can still
order the slide CD from O'Reilly, and someone is producing audiotapes of
the presentations.  The URL for the audiotaper was posted on this
newsgroup in September sometime.

IIRC, he used Python instead of Java in a Junior College, but I could be
wrong about the JC part.  Coulda been high school. ...

> Also, only marginally off-topic, what is the standard view of what
> one's 2nd language should be if one's first language is Python?

Oh, that's easy.  Python 2.0.

>Honesty subverts!

<and-subversion-is-honest?>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours