[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Kendall Clark kclark at ntlug.org
Thu Dec 30 18:21:09 EST 1999

    Andrew> Book topics... hmmm.  A good JPython book would be great,
    Andrew> and would probably increase JPython's visibility in the
    Andrew> Java community a lot; a book about Numeric Python would
    Andrew> probably have the same effect in the Fortran community.  I
    Andrew> suspect there's room for several Tkinter books beyond the
    Andrew> two upcoming ones, and there's space for GTk and Qt books,
    Andrew> too.

I'd take this in a bit of a different direction. As a relatively new
programmer, whose first and, so far, only language is Python (and
being totally self-taught), I'd like to see Python get used in some of
the places where Scheme has traditionally been used; i.e., as the
"first language" in academic settings, with all the appropriate books
using Python instead of (or in addition to) Scheme.

I'd give my eye teeth for any of the following:

Algorithms in Python
Essentials of Programming Languages (using Python)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (using Python)
Patterns in Python

I know Scheme has some features that make it more desirable in some
ways than Python for stuff like EOPL, but Python was *so* much easier
for me to advance rapidly with than Scheme. Maybe that's just the
quirks of my brain, though.

I suppose such books will come about only insofar as CS profs use
Python as the "first language". I also have a hunch that as I improve
as a programmer, and learn a 2nd and 3rd language, my desire for these
things will diminish. But, hey, a Python autodidact can hope!

Any signs that Python is getting used by CS profs/depts as a first language?

Also, only marginally off-topic, what is the standard view of what
one's 2nd language should be if one's first language is Python?

Best,

Kendall Clark
--
Honesty subverts!