browser interface?

55555 55555 at dakotacom.net
Thu Dec 9 15:18:11 EST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 00:27:31 -0800, Patrick Phalen <python-list at teleo.net> wrote:
> [55555, on Tue, 07 Dec 1999]
>
> :: Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, Zope looks like it's a little over my head,
and I'm
> :: not even sure what an application server is, although, I can guess.  Without getting
too
> :: complex, is there a way to let the script stay open and "listen" for clicks on a
local
> :: web page and then respond by printing new html whenever something happens.  I am
guessing
> :: that cgi would do the trick, but as far as I can tell, it would reload the script
> :: everytime something is clicked.  Is that wrong?  I just don't want to open and close
an
> :: application 50 times.  Thanks again.
>
> Perhaps we could be more helpful if you'd take a wack at describing in
> more detail what you're trying to do.
>
> You say "without getting too complex," but from the sound of it, what
> you're looking for is rather complex.
>
> HTTP is, by design, a stateless protocol.  CGI, too, can be thought of
> as a sort of stateless remote procedure call; it isn't really connection
> oriented and it doesn't natively do what I think you want.
>
> But, again, I'm not clear on what you're looking to do. Maybe a push or
> channel protocol like CDF or RSS?

I am basically trying to cheat learning how to program a GUI.  I've played around with
Tkinter before, but I wasn't moving along quickly enough.  So I'm thinking I could print
html to a browser on my machine using cgi instead of using the python console or Tkinter
(this would not at all involve the internet).  I figure that any links that I print could
just lead back to the script that was used to create the page in the first page and use
arguements from the hyperlink to call a new function.  The negative part of this is that
I don't want to reparse a bunch of text files every time I need user input.  Does this
make sense?  I'm trying to create a mail client if that helps.  Thanks again.