Tkinter/IDLE crash

dg see at my.sig
Fri Dec 10 18:58:09 EST 1999

In article <82qvui$s5t$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, alex at magenta.com spoke thusly:
> In article <82pkpk$3o0$1 at mirv.unsw.edu.au>,
>   simon at george.maths.unsw.edu.au (Simon Evans) wrote:
> >    I was making my first foray into Tkinter last night (using Py 1.5.2
> >  and IDLE with Win 95).
>     [snip]
> >  the "Quit" button, and *everything* quits. The window, the IDLE
> >  session, everything! Goodbye python, goodbye IDLE, hello desktop.
>
> The release notes for the current PythonWin mention this, and
> I get identical problems (at home, on Win98 -- not here at
> work, on Win/NT, where things appear stable).  There is
> something badly broken with 1.5.2 on both Win95 and Win98,
> it seems -- something that affects IDLE, PythonWin, _and_
> the command line interpreter too, to different degrees.  I
> get a crash on _exit_ from the whatever-environment by far
> most of the time -- always, if I've been using Tkinter in
> the session; and, not often, crashes "in the middle", such
> as you describe.
>
> I consider this to be the biggest current "environment"
> problem with Python -- that the latest implementation is
> SO fragile on the (alas) single most widespread platform,
> that it cannot really be used to develop for it:-(.
>
> I just joined the PSA, so, among other benefits, I'll get
> access to the current betas of PythonWin -- and, if the
> bugs persist there, I guess I'll try to spend some of my
> abundant free time to understand the crashes better (e.g.,
> by throwing NuMega's DevPartner at the code -- sometimes
> it does help in finding not-quite-kosher system calls, &c).

I have Python 1.5.2 on an NT box and I can run python ok but whenever I
try to run pythonw or idle, I get nothing.  There is a slight pause, as
if something is being loaded, but then I'm back at the command line with
no app running.  Could this be part of the problem you describe or is my
setup wrong somehow (this behavior occurs immediately after
installation).
--
Don Groves  (dgroves_ccwebster_net)
Replace underscores to get my email address.