GTK choking on wxPython

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Dec 13 10:51:43 EST 1999

Hello, all--

Well, I thought I'd try out Sean McGrath's cool new XML tool, C3. So I
finally broke down and installed wxWindows and wxPython. But when I
try to run c3.py (or the wxPython demo), I get the following errors:

    GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 500.

    Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
    aborting...

Or, if I run it as root, I get only the second error. Either way, it
crashes and burns.

Platform: Red Hat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7)
GTK: 1.2.1
Python:	1.5.2
wxWindows: wxGTK 2.1.11
wxPython: 2.1.11

The problem seems to be wxPython specific, since all the wxGTK demos
run fine.

Has anybody seen this before?

Please don't tell me I have to upgrade GTK (unless it's true ;-). I
hate upgrading GTK.

Thanks for any tips.
--
Matt Gushee