Arg! [Long]

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Dec 21 16:03:25 EST 1999

Magnus L. Hetland writes:
 > Yup. Sorry about that... But that didn't work either.

  Ouch.

 > Well - I didn't write it ;)

  I was suspecting that the gcc command line was being mis-generated
because of the typo.  So much for that idea.

 > vier:~/python/extension$ ls
 > Makefile.pre.in  Setup.in

  Perhaps this is the problem.  ;)  There's no spammodule.c (exactly
as the message says!).  That needs to be here as well; you can't
compile without source!

 > After poring over this dump I think I suspect something (which *might*
 > be construed as a weakness in the make-control ;)... It guesses the
 > wrong location for my installation... The /store/lib/python1.5 stuff
 > isn't mine... I have used an alias for python to point to my own
 > installation.

  That *might* be a problem.  "python" needs to resolve to the actual
python executable from the installation you're building for.  If
Python isn't itself correctly (say, it's finding the other installed
python...), the whole thing will simple build for the wrong
installation.  But you haven't gotten there yet.
  For now, what you need is a sufficiently interesting spammodule.c. ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us>