X display visual

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Mon Dec 6 17:34:22 EST 1999

Hi All--
A friend of mine is running Python on a Sparc station.  I sent him some
code which uses a bunch of colors, and even though he's got a truecolor
display it looked screwy.  He ran xdpyinfo, and these are his results:

xdpyinfo says:

 supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32

xwininfo on the python window says:

  Depth: 8
  Visual Class: PseudoColor

so I guess that means python took the first color visual type
it found... is there a way to force it to use my 24 bit
visual?

What say the Tkinter experts?

<besides-ni>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours