More random python observations from a perl programmer

Florian Weimer fw at s.netic.de
Fri Aug 20 07:00:37 EDT 1999

Tom Christiansen <tchrist at jhereg.perl.com> writes:

> >Try reading the docs...
>
> Thanks for nothing: there are no manpages.

Manpages are most useful for languages which do not support namespaces
(so you can hit `K' or `M-x man RET RET', and you get the right page).
Perl fits into this more than Python (which heavily uses methods on
builtin objects).  Unfortunately, `man exists' (or `perldoc exists')
doesn't work with my Perl installation either, so I don't see why it
makes that much sense to have any manpages.

In addition, it's a PITA to search for a specific function in the
`perlfunc' manpage because the entries aren't marked at all.  You have
to prepend a few spaces to the function name and search for that,
otherwise you might get too many references in the descriptions of other
functions.  I must admit that personally, I like Python's structured
Info documentation much better.