More random python observations from a perl programmer

Tom Christiansen tchrist at mox.perl.com
Fri Aug 20 09:07:09 EDT 1999

     [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

In comp.lang.python,
    Florian Weimer <fw at s.netic.de> writes:
:Manpages are most useful for languages which do not support namespaces
:(so you can hit `K' or `M-x man RET RET', and you get the right page).
:Perl fits into this more than Python (which heavily uses methods on
:builtin objects).  Unfortunately, `man exists' (or `perldoc exists')
:doesn't work with my Perl installation either,

I really hate that.  You're right about perlfunc being insanely long.
I've always argued against it, and there's a script in the distribution
kid that *will* create things like /usr/local/perl/man/man3/exists.3,
but I haven't managed to get my lobbying power worked up enough to push
through to make that the default.

--tom
--
	 "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."
	 Lewis Carroll, "Alice in Wonderland".