IDLE and iso-8859-2; threading tutorial

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sat Aug 28 17:31:04 EDT 1999

úukasz Kowalczyk writes:

> Also, is there a tutorial about using threads in Python? I know
> there are a few examples in doc/Demos directory but I would like to
> read about real-world problems that may arise. I still remember how
> much time I spent looking for bugs in my Java threading program and
> finally found out that putting Thread.yield() all over the code did
> the trick...

You must've been using a platform where Java didn't use real threads
(ie, it used user-level threads instead of system-level threads).
Python doesn't attempt to fake threads. It uses the system's threads,
or none at all.

So if you use the threading module, you already know how to use
Python threads - they're modeled after Java threads (except you never
have to yield()).

- Gordon