Why use Python when we've got Perl?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 16 06:42:43 EDT 1999

In comp.lang.perl.misc, Ian Clarke <I.Clarke at strs.co.uk> writes:

> I agree completely.  As the person who started this whole thing
> (sheepish grin) the regulars, Tom in particular, has been rude, and
> resorted to personal insults on a number of occasions, even while I
> remained calm and polite.  He repeatedly accuses me of being a troll and
> inciting flames (despite the fact that he was the only one flaming!).

However rude Tom has been, apply a little bit of logic to what you're
doing.  Crossposting between Python and Perl newsgroups is inciting
flames.  Starting threads with the topic "Why use Python when we've got
Perl?" or "Why use Perl when we've got Python?" or the like is inciting
flames.  Starting threads about Python in a Perl newsgroup or Perl in a
Python newsgroup is inciting flames.

Sometimes it's worth putting up with the flames in order to make a point
or to get some useful information, and I think there's been some useful
and interesting information in this thread.  But please take some personal
responsibility for your actions.

comp.lang.perl.misc is primarily for talking about Perl, not trying to
defend Perl to a Python advocate.  I'm sure the converse is true of
comp.lang.python.  Someone who starts a language advocacy flamewar and
then plays innocent about it isn't exactly holding the moral high ground.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- Russ Allbery, Just Another Perl Hacker
$^=q;@!>~|{>krw>yn{u<$$<[~||<Juukn{=,<S~|}<Jwx}qn{<Yn{u<Qjltn{ > 0gFzD gD,