Why use Python when we've got Perl?

Syniq crdempsey at uswest.net
Fri Aug 27 01:38:23 EDT 1999

First of all, I want to apologize to everyone for continuing this useless
thread...that said, I'll now continue it.  ;o)

> > When > 90% of the newsgroup postings are ill-formatted garbledy-gook
> > that also fall into the category of not having bothered to have first
> > checked the online docs or faqs that come with Perl, these things add up.
> > And eventually, it risks breaking our spirit.  There's just no way to deal
> > with the never-ending onslaught of non-programmer CGI script kiddies, who
> > seem to outnumber the rest of us zillions to one.

And there's now way to deal with the never-ending onslaught of stupid
politicians.
Or the people that generally think the world owes them something.
Or the people that cut you off in traffic.
Or the people in line ahead of you that fart.
Or the people on Jerry Springer.
Or Jerry Springer.
Point is, that's life.  Deal with it.
The rest of us have to deal with the never-ending onslaught of elitist,
megalomaniacal people who learn
how to use a curly brace and so develop a God-complex.
We zillions might apologize for soiling your existence with our presence, if
you deigned to allow us to speak.

> > So what do you do?  You either bail out of this untenable situation, as
> > Larry Wall has done, or else "customer-service battle fatigue" sets in.
> > When that happens, people end up getting snapped at, sometimes mistaking
> > an honest learner for yet another beggar looking for handouts.

Simply not answering the post is beyond your capabilities?  Is it more
difficult to simply do nothing (except, for course, patting yourself on the
back for your universal wisdom and omnipotence) rather than waste your
obviously wildly valuable time to write a script to flame these people?
Sure, it only took a few seconds, but Heaven only knows how large you might
have inflated your ego in that short time.

If you feel you MUST answer every post, then why don't you edit your spam-bot
to send links to the HOW-TOs and documentation?  At
least you would be doing something other than bogging down mail servers around
the world.

> > I do think that earnest individuals seriously wanting
> > to work hard are still given the same helping hand they always got.

How can you tell, when they ask their first question?  Is there a secret code?

I realize that some of you pay to download your newsgroup messages.  Don't
blame the rest of us.  Blame your ISP or phone company.  It's
an open message board, which means everyone is allowed to post.  If you are
upset that someone had the nerve to post something you
didn't want to read, perhaps you should find someway to read the posts without
paying by the minute.  If your ISP charges you--change.
If your government charges you, don't blame me, or anyone other than your
government.  We didn't set it up.

Finally, as a newbie, I have to wonder a few things: How much do you have to
learn before you can walk around with a big chip on your
shoulder and the ponderous weight of the mantle of God-hood resting heavy on
your head?  Must be pretty cool to think you are greater than
everyone but those that can flame you for any question you ask.

Before you make someone feel foolish for trying to learn something, remember
that there is a situation in which each of those people could do
the same to you.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,/ than are dreamt of in
your philosophy."--W. Shakespeare

"One sign of maturity is knowing when to ask for help."--D. Wholey

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,/ Show me the steep and thorny way to
heaven,/ Whiles like a puffed and reckless libertine/
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads..."--W. Shakespeare

Cody aka Syniq
crdempsey at uswest.net