Necessity of ``pass''

Justin Sheehy dworkin at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Aug 24 13:41:00 EDT 1999

forcer <forcer at mindless.com> writes:

> You didn't quote the example where i pointed out the real
> problem with pass:
>
> if foo:
>    # bar
>    # baz
> qux
>
> E.g. if you're developing code and just commented out a (not yet
> worked out branch) to work on a different part of the program.
> Requireing pass here is unecessary.

For what you describe, pass is already unecessary.  You simply left
out one `#'.

Assuming that I have the following snippet:

if foo:
    bar
    baz
quux

If I want to do what I think you are describing above, I comment out
the entire if expression, not just its body:

# if foo:
#     bar
#     baz
quux

Is there any reason not to do it this way, or have I somehow missed
the point behind of your example?

I don't understand how `pass' has much to do with this, really.

-Justin