Necessity of ``pass''

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 24 09:49:56 EDT 1999

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 11:44:19AM +0200, forcer wrote:
> > Another example of redundancy in Python -- and one with just as much
> > chance of being changed -- is the ':' symbol.  Take a look at the following:
>
> Though the colon really improves readability while not getting in
> your way :)

Actually, no :) the colon may be three whole characters less than the 'pass'
keyword, but your argument for skipping 'pass' goes for the colon just as
much:

if spam #and eggs() or ham and timber['victim']:
	# your code here

You can't just comment out a non-working test in your if statement (like
above), you have to add the : to the right place, AND remember to remove it
when you finish the remaining tests.

So, lets remove neither ;-P

Annoying-ly-y'rs,
--