More random python observations from a perl programmer

Alex Maranda amaranda at spider.com
Fri Aug 20 11:48:50 EDT 1999

Tom Christiansen wrote:

>      [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]
>
> In comp.lang.python,
>     "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
> :as an aside, it's a bit sad that Tom didn't read the book's
> :preface, where Mark says, among other things:
>
> It's a shame that so many of you should be so unbelievably harsh on me
> when *I'm* the one who with malice toward none and full of revulsion
> at the flames causes by *YOUR* community's ignorant attacks on mine,
Tom, you got it all wrong. That John whatever his name was who started
and fueled that stupid flame on c.l.p.m is not a representative of the
Python community by any stretch of the imagination. He ended up in the
killfile of most c.l.py newsgroup regulars. I've been reading this
newsgroup for 2 years now and it's the first time I've seen such violent
advocacy.

> that *I* made the honest effort to learn *YOUR* language, and that I
> furthermore for your benefit not my own then took the additonal trouble
> to write-up my experiences and observations gleaned while five hundred
> miles away from the nearest tree or internet link.
You got it all wrong again. You are WELCOME. It's just the style of your
posts - we're not used to it. You're definitely coming from a different
newsgroup culture. If you would just stay in O_RDONLY mode on c.l.py for
a couple of weeks you'll understand what I'm talking about.

> And for that, I am abused for my candor and effort in trying to convey
> to you what that process was like for me.
Your effort is most welcome. Perhaps in time you will remove the bias
from your notes.

> Shame on you!
[rest of prose snipped]

Regards,