More random python observations from a perl programmer

Tom Christiansen tchrist at mox.perl.com
Fri Aug 20 09:22:14 EDT 1999

     [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

In comp.lang.python,
    "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
:as an aside, it's a bit sad that Tom didn't read the book's
:preface, where Mark says, among other things:

It's a shame that so many of you should be so unbelievably harsh on me
when *I'm* the one who with malice toward none and full of revulsion
at the flames causes by *YOUR* community's ignorant attacks on mine,
that *I* made the honest effort to learn *YOUR* language, and that I
furthermore for your benefit not my own then took the additonal trouble
to write-up my experiences and observations gleaned while five hundred
miles away from the nearest tree or internet link.

And for that, I am abused for my candor and effort in trying to convey
to you what that process was like for me.

Shame on you!

Don't you understand your gain?  How dare you punch a gifthorse in the
mouth--repeatedly?  If these petty slams and disdainful arrogances are the
kind of response typical of your community, this bodes not well for you.

But no, that's not it.  It's just Usenet, the place where condescension,
conceit, and cruelty all come far too easily.  The more the pissier,
you know.  I'll try to keep that in mind as I continue to attempt to
sift through this dreck to find the gems.

--tom
--
    "I will always write it the second way, so if you're optimizing for
    contrariness, it's obviously better to do it the second way."