Why use Python when we've got Perl?

Xah xah at best.com
Sun Aug 22 08:06:28 EDT 1999

----------
In article <37B7E1AC.FF4FF2CF at strs.co.uk>, Ian Clarke <I.Clarke at strs.co.uk>
wrote:

>> The problem in comp.lang.perl.misc is not the beginners -- it is
>> the regulars.
>
> I agree completely.  As the person who started this whole thing
> (sheepish grin) the regulars, Tom in particular, has been rude, and
> resorted to personal insults on a number of occasions, even while I
> remained calm and polite.  He repeatedly accuses me of being a troll and
> inciting flames (despite the fact that he was the only one flaming!).
> To top it all off, having posted numerous "courtesy" copies of his
> newsgroup postings to my email address, to which I replied on-subject
> and politely, he then emailed me an email saying that I had been
> killfiled!  A rather pathetic way to get the last word in my opinion.

What the fuck do you know? (yes, I used that language often just like Tom
said he does. Check deja news for yourself.) If you didn't public proclaim
that somebody is "trolling" or that you "killfiled" somebody or that you
send somebody to "/dev/null", then you don't deserve to be in
comp.lang.perl.misc.

Lessen one for ya: As soon as you don't agree with someone and it heats up,
you must cry troll or one of the other alternative above. Any thing along
the lines of "auto-deletion" won't do, because it's too not cool. And, you
MUST proclaim it publicly so that you can prove to other perl mongers that
you have the true monger spirit. I guess the other functionality of this
ritual is some kinda warning system. As you know, not all perl programers
are bright like sunshine. The semi-newbies jerk into bad defense. It's
always a show-stopper.

> Lucky I do not judge Perl on the quality of their newsgroup regulars.

Unlucky for you that you didn't. Now go back to your python group and enjoy
your polite studies.

> Ian.

 Xah
 xah at best.com
 http://www.best.com/~xah/PageTwo_dir/more.html
 "The three principle virtues of Perl programers: mundaneness, sloppiness,
and fatuousness."  -- Larry Somebody