ioctl and mmap question

Nick Belshaw nickb at earth.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 05:51:20 EDT 1999

I would be very grateful if anyone direct me on an issue which  is
confusing me a little?

I am playing with a Linux device driver which uses DMA on a PC using
RedHat Linux.

Installation of the module is fine but when I open the device from
Python I don't get all I want. I have ioctl access which seems to allow
all the code suggests and read/write sort of work. The module has a
mmap-fop also and I don't see how or when to call it. Is it intended to
be called automatically when I do other things or do I have to deal with
it myself? If I have to call it explicitly how do I do that from Python?
I have not seen any references to mmap calls to devices and am slightly
confused.

thanks in advance

Nick/Oxford