SNMPy update

Craig H. Rowland crowland at cisco.com
Mon Apr 5 13:17:35 EDT 1999

A co-worker has written an SNMP library *entirely* in Python. It works on
every platform Python runs under (well, we haven't tried every platform, but
it does work under Unix and Windows). Unfortunately it can't be released
publicly. I only say this because it *is* possible to write an SNMP client
in 100% Python and this is a much better solution IMHO than using a Python
wrapper around C based libraries that aren't very portable such as the
current SNMPY solution. Conflict of interest issues keep us from releasing
the code, but I'm sure anyone interested in taking up the project (which
isn't difficult, it is just tedious how SNMP does things) can get questions
answered by the author which should make things much easier. If you are
interested in doing this let me know and I'll give you his e-mail address.

-- Craig

> SNMPy interests quite a few people.  I've reluctantly
> concluded that I can't be much of a leader in its near-
> term future; all I can afford for now is to report the
> little I know, and give a few personal suggestions on
> what we might do next.
>
> Thanks to the generosity of a correspondent, I can offer

<URL:http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/snmpy-alpha3.tar.g
z>,