NT: win32api and win32ui import error

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sun Apr 18 22:30:25 EDT 1999

Hung Jung writes:

> No luck. I downloaded some more recent versions of ole32.dll
> and oleaut32.dll from http://solo.abac.com/dllarchive/, (their
> msvcrt.dll is older, from VC5 instead of VC6). I also tried
> those DLLs from my Windows 98 System folder. I tried many
> combinations. Here is the list of the versions:
>
> msvcrt.dll:
>    5.00.7303   (solo.abac.com)
>    5.00.7128   (my Windows 98)
>    6.00.8267.0 (my Windows NT)
>
> ole32.dll:
>    4.71.1120   (solo.abac.com)
>    4.71.1719   (my Windows 98)
>    4.00        (my Windows NT)
>
> oleaut32.dll:
>    2.20.4122   (solo.abac.com)
>    2.20.4122   (my Windows 98)
>    2.20.4118   (my Windows NT)

> NT has had persistent problem with the Pythonwin
> extensions. This is not the first time. I have
> never been able to run Pythonwin or use its
> extensions modules (e.g: win32api, win32ui) on NT,
> and we have quite a few NT machines here.
>
> The current real status is: PYTHONWIN DOES NOT
> RUN ON NT. At least not on modern NT versions
> (our msvcrt.dll is dated 9/23/98, this should be
> considered fairly recent.)

While I'm still on 1.5b2 and build 123 of Mark's stuff, I've had no
problem on NT SP3 and 4. My versions:

msvcrt.dll v 5.00.7303
ole32.dll v 4.00
oleaut32.dll v 2.30.4265

I have (some time ago) had problems with the "not registered"
messages on install, but they went away when I de-installed the
extensions, de-installed Python then reinstalled Python and the
extensions.

(However, to get IE 4 to install, I had to de-install almost
everything network related...)

Just to make sure you haven't overlooked anything basic, you do
realize that you have to have administrative priveleges to install
the extensions?

In a direct reply, I'll attach a copy of the HKLM\Software\Python
portion of my registry.

- Gordon