Bug or Feature?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Apr 28 09:29:53 EDT 1999

Stephan Houben writes:
>As you see, the "Numerical" part is by far the biggest, and if you make it
>a standard part of Python, you increase the size of the standard distribution
>by quite much. So that might be a reason not to do it.

	I think the idea is to include only the basic NumPy types
(multiarray and whatever the rest are).  BLAS, LAPACK, or whatever,
would still be add-ons.  The benefit is that installing numeric code
wouldn't require recompiling the Python binary; they'd be simple
modules.  As a side benefit, other programs could then count on having
the multiarray type.

I'm sure the reason such young nitwits are produced in our schools is because
they have no contact with anything of any use in everyday life.
    -- Petronius, _The Satyricon_