learning Python (rat book)

David Ascher da at ski.org
Fri Apr 23 23:49:54 EDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Unfortunately, names seem to appear just by the chance that
> material was used. I was astonished to find quite a couple
> of names, but no Aaron Watters, no Barry Warsaw.

Indices refer to text, so yes, names will show up based on whether they
show up in the text.  As such, Aaron and Barry's names should have
appeared in the index, since they are mentioned in the text (Aaron for
gadfly and IPP, Barry for his PSA work -- he should be mentioned in the
context of JPython as well, but maybe that change happened too late for
the first printing.  Anyway, all this to say that these omissions were not
deliberate, and will be fixed in future printings if they don't affect the
page count (I believe that's the rule).  In fact, I wish to make public an
acknowledgement which was omitted unintentionally in the final rush of
production -- Jim Hugunin provided valuable assistance in the the JPython
program development.  I'll try and get that fixed in the next printing as
well.  We'll add Christian as well for the Starship reference, of course.

> But when mentioning SWIG, it should had better put a reference
> to Dave Beazley into the index as well.

Agreed.

> I'm currently working on the German translation. it will be
> ready by end of July. I will try to adjust the index to mention
> every person who plays a role in the book.

Great -- make sure to check in with Mark and I about the fixes we make
for the next printing, and let us know of the other bugs you find in the
process.

--David Ascher