Designing Large Systems with Python

Dan Schmidt dfan at harmonixmusic.com
Tue Apr 27 09:39:00 EDT 1999

David Steuber <trashcan at david-steuber.com> writes:

| One other thing.  Is the documentation that comes with Python
| sufficient to gain mastery of the language, or should I consider
| buying (yet) another book?

If you've done a bunch of programming before, the Tutorial in the
online docs should serve you well.

I recently read through Learning Python and thought it was excellent.
One nice thing is that it presents a bunch of the standard modules,
which otherwise you have to learn simply by reading the reference.

I would recommend either of those as an introduction to the language
over Programming Python.  You'll want to pick it up at some point (I
found its discussion on embedding Python to be very useful, for
example), but I found it difficult to learn the language from; the
reader is overwhelmed with detail from the very start.

                 Dan Schmidt -> dfan at harmonixmusic.com, dfan at alum.mit.edu
Honest Bob & the                http://www2.thecia.net/users/dfan/
Factory-to-Dealer Incentives -> http://www2.thecia.net/users/dfan/hbob/
          Gamelan Galak Tika -> http://web.mit.edu/galak-tika/www/