[python-ldap] Modifying user attributes

Ziad Badawi ziadbad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:03:11 CET 2015

Hello,

I am trying to modify the telephoneNumber user attribute as follows

#!/usr/bin/python
import ldap
import ldap.modlist as modlist

ldap.set_option(ldap.OPT_X_TLS_REQUIRE_CERT, ldap.OPT_X_TLS_NEVER)

l = ldap.initialize('ldaps://domain.local:636')

l.simple_bind_s('user', 'passwd')

dn="CN=John Smith,OU=Domain Users,DC=domain,DC=local"

old = {'telephoneNumber': '1234'}

new = {'telephoneNumber':'123456'}

ldif = modlist.modifyModlist(old,new)

l.modify_s(dn,ldif)

l.unbind_s()

When I execute this, I get
ldap.SERVER_DOWN: {'info': 'TLS error -5939:No more entries in the
directory', 'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"}

and I am not sure what it means, but the strange thing is when I execute
this another time, it works fine and the attribute is modified

Any idea what is going on here? and what is the solution?