compiling against OpenLDAP 2.0.11

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sun Jun 17 11:44:18 CEST 2001

David Leonard wrote:

> the current status of the development tree seems to be:
>         * removing autoconf, in favour of python's distutils
>           (which is weaker at detecting what is there but slightly more
>            configurable and supposedly easier to build distributions with)
>         * supporting OpenLDAP 2.* (but dropping support for earlier
>           versions)

I have to say that I'm feeling *very* unhappy about the current
situation. I have absolutely no clue what to tell my users about how
to install python-ldap.

- There's no proper stable release since months although the CVS
tree was pretty stable until a few weeks ago. I suggested to make a
release before tinkering with the CVS version several times...

- It's completely unclear what the status of the current CVS tree
is. Who really knows?

- There were no on-list announcements about changes to the CVS tree
but maybe there were significant changes. Who knows?

- People ask for building against OpenLDAP 2.0.x libs without having
enough knowledge about the differences of the APIs.

- Undocumented OpenLDAP 2.0.x-related patches are floating around
which actually break existing python-ldap applications.

I'd really prefer a stable version which builds against OpenLDAP
1.2.x, works rock-solid without memory leaks, do not core-dump and
behaves as documented instead of OpenLDAP 2.0.x-patched version
which break code and do not have any additional benefits.

I'm seriously considering switching to another LDAP programming
platform.