patch to compile with OpenLDAP 2.0.7

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Fri Nov 17 21:15:09 CET 2000

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:48:18AM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> "Jeffrey C. Ollie" wrote:
> >
> > I didn't know that anyone else was working on it...  The list has been
> > quiet for some time now.
>
> We did not expect anybody else to work on it. Therefore there was no
> announcement here.
>
> > It looks like Konstantin's work goes beyond what I intended to
> > accomplish.  I wasn't looking to add any functionality, just to
> > get python-ldap to compile and work.
>
> Well, when building against OpenLDAP 2.0.x libs you gain some new
> important features. Especially LDAPv3 is what we basically need to
> handle referrals in a reasonable manner. This might lead to
> incompatible python-ldap API but the new features are worth it, I
> think.

Yes, a worthy goal.  However, it'd be nice to get a version out the
door that compiles/links against 2.0.x and then worry about new
functionality introduced by LDAPv3.

> >  But I'd be happy to test out other patches and perhaps fix a bug
> > or two.
>
> Well, are you interested in adding new functionality? If yes,
> SSL/TLS support and some parts of the new LDAPEXT-API would be nice.
> I'm not a C programmer myself. I can just provide help with
> designing the new API and doing extensive tests.

SSL/TLS would be high on my priority list.  I do know how to program
in C but programming isn't my primary duty at work and I don't ever
seem to get much free time at home that I can work on programming.

But who knows, maybe I'll stay up late one night...

Jeff